After more than a year of community meetings, Newton Public Schools has outlined several goals and objectives that will help guide the district for the next decade...
Complete Comprehensive Plan available at newton373.org
Sixteen findings and recommendations including:
- Instructional practices such as project-based learning, Career and Technical Education, critical thinking, and global awareness
- Student, staff, and patron safety including storm shelters and protection against retaliation
- Communication with the public on a variety of policies including bullying, retaliation, and promoting awareness of website information
- Equity in enrollment and adequacy of facility space to meet the needs of 21st Century learners including flexibility, technology, and small and large group instruction
Five phases for addressing the recommendations:
- Create and implement a communication plan to share the district’s policies, procedures and BOE information to the community that is active, visible and interactive.
- Incorporate the findings of the comprehensive plan into the programs at all grade levels, review the Walton Rural Life charter, and engage a demographer to identify possible boundary modifications.
- Begin the process of acquiring property for possible new elementary and create a design team to assist in the preliminary design and planning for existing intermediate, middle and high schools.
- Present scope of work and cost to community for consideration and consider the impacts of the cost and work at district facilities before asking the community what they are willing to support.
- Implement the community directive.